1. An oracle concerning Nineveh. The book of the vision of Nahum of Elkosh.
2. The LORD is a jealous and avenging God; the LORD is avenging and wrathful; the LORD takes vengeance on his adversaries and keeps wrath for his enemies.
3. The LORD is slow to anger and great in power, and the LORD will by no means clear the guilty. His way is in whirlwind and storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet.
4. He rebukes the sea and makes it dry; he dries up all the rivers; Bashan and Carmel wither; the bloom of Lebanon withers.
5. The mountains quake before him; the hills melt; the earth heaves before him, the world and all who dwell in it.
6. Who can stand before his indignation? Who can endure the heat of his anger? His wrath is poured out like fire, and the rocks are broken into pieces by him.
7. The LORD is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; he knows those who take refuge in him.
8. But with an overflowing flood he will make a complete end of the adversaries, and will pursue his enemies into darkness.
9. What do you plot against the LORD? He will make a complete end; trouble will not rise up a second time.
10. For they are like entangled thorns, like drunkards as they drink; they are consumed like stubble fully dried.
11. From you came one who plotted evil against the LORD, a worthless counselor.
12. Thus says the LORD, "Though they are at full strength and many, they will be cut down and pass away. Though I have afflicted you, I will afflict you no more.
13. And now I will break his yoke from off you and will burst your bonds apart."
14. The LORD has given commandment about you: "No more shall your name be perpetuated; from the house of your gods I will cut off the carved image and the metal image. I will make your grave, for you are vile."
15. Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace! Keep your feasts, O Judah; fulfill your vows, for never again shall the worthless pass through you; he is utterly cut off.