2. Son of man, will you judge her? Will you judge this city of bloodshed? Then confront her with all her detestable practices
3. and say: 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: O city that brings on herself doom by shedding blood in her midst and defiles herself by making idols,
4. you have become guilty because of the blood you have shed and have become defiled by the idols you have made. You have brought your days to a close, and the end of your years has come. Therefore I will make you an object of scorn to the nations and a laughingstock to all the countries.
5. Those who are near and those who are far away will mock you, O infamous city, full of turmoil.
6. 'See how each of the princes of Israel who are in you uses his power to shed blood.
7. In you they have treated father and mother with contempt; in you they have oppressed the alien and mistreated the fatherless and the widow.
8. You have despised my holy things and desecrated my Sabbaths.
9. In you are slanderous men bent on shedding blood; in you are those who eat at the mountain shrines and commit lewd acts.
10. In you are those who dishonor their fathers' bed; in you are those who violate women during their period, when they are ceremonially unclean.
11. In you one man commits a detestable offense with his neighbor's wife, another shamefully defiles his daughter-in- law, and another violates his sister, his own father's daughter.
12. In you men accept bribes to shed blood; you take usury and excessive interest and make unjust gain from your neighbors by extortion. And you have forgotten me, declares the Sovereign LORD.
13. 'I will surely strike my hands together at the unjust gain you have made and at the blood you have shed in your midst.
14. Will your courage endure or your hands be strong in the day I deal with you? I the LORD have spoken, and I will do it.
15. I will disperse you among the nations and scatter you through the countries; and I will put an end to your uncleanness.
16. When you have been defiled in the eyes of the nations, you will know that I am the LORD.' "
17. Then the word of the LORD came to me:
18. Son of man, the house of Israel has become dross to me; all of them are the copper, tin, iron and lead left inside a furnace. They are but the dross of silver.
19. Therefore this is what the Sovereign LORD says: 'Because you have all become dross, I will gather you into Jerusalem.
20. As men gather silver, copper, iron, lead and tin into a furnace to melt it with a fiery blast, so will I gather you in my anger and my wrath and put you inside the city and melt you.
21. I will gather you and I will blow on you with my fiery wrath, and you will be melted inside her.
22. As silver is melted in a furnace, so you will be melted inside her, and you will know that I the LORD have poured out my wrath upon you.' "
23. Again the word of the LORD came to me:
24. Son of man, say to the land, 'You are a land that has had no rain or showers in the day of wrath.'
25. There is a conspiracy of her princes within her like a roaring lion tearing its prey; they devour people, take treasures and precious things and make many widows within her.
26. Her priests do violence to my law and profane my holy things; they do not distinguish between the holy and the common; they teach that there is no difference between the unclean and the clean; and they shut their eyes to the keeping of my Sabbaths, so that I am profaned among them.
27. Her officials within her are like wolves tearing their prey; they shed blood and kill people to make unjust gain.
28. Her prophets whitewash these deeds for them by false visions and lying divinations. They say, 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says'--when the LORD has not spoken.
29. The people of the land practice extortion and commit robbery; they oppress the poor and needy and mistreat the alien, denying them justice.
30. I looked for a man among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found none.
31. So I will pour out my wrath on them and consume them with my fiery anger, bringing down on their own heads all they have done, declares the Sovereign LORD."